Northern Star Communications Inc. - Recipient of 2006 New Leaf Award for Most Courageous Shift
What they do:
Northern Star Communications is a leader in oil and gas publishing. The company publishes four oilpatch magazines - The Roughneck, Energy Processing Canada, Propane Canada, and The Roughneck Buy & Sell - as well as the annual Alberta Gas Plant Directory and Volume One of The Roughneck Joke Book. Northern Starís original publication, The Roughneck, is a monthly digest-sized on the upstream sector of the oil and gas industry that has been in circulation since 1952.
2006 New Leaf Award Winner - Most Courageous Shift:
Material Insightís New Leaf Award for Most Courageous Shift honours young enterprises that make difficult, potentially risky, decisions to boldly accomplish their business goals or further penetrate new or existing target markets.
Northern Star Communications was chosen as the winner for:
- Departing the comfort-zone of paper publication to seek new revenue opportunity online.
- Developing electronic versions of its flagship magazine - The Roughneck, seeking a new means to expand circulation, and give subscribers choice of paper or web-delivered content.
- Opportunistically seeking new sales opportunities with web banner advertising and winning new revenue!
- Committing to invest in search engine optimization of its site - despite the perplexing technicalities that connotes - and earning more traffic and subscription requests online.
Find out more about Northern Star Communications Inc..
New & Noteworthy
- December 2012 - Material Insight is back, small and mighty.
- September 3 - Calgary Inc. magazine selects Claudia Moore among top 40 under 40 announced.
- September 1 - Alberta Venture magazine profiles Launching the Wired West.
- Calgary Herald interviews StumbleUpon founder about sale to eBay for $75 million - and talks to us. Read more.
Seeking talent or opportunities in Calgary tech? Check out Techbent.